On display in the Museum are designs for two seat cushions by Nora Yoxall, a well known, local, stained-glass artist.
The stitching on the cushions was carried out in 1981 by members of the Broad Campden Quakers to furnish their Meeting House.Canvas and wools were provided by Mary McColm who owned a needlework shop in Chipping Campden. Both Nora and Mary were Quakers.
Each needlewoman used her own stitches to interpret the design and some cushions carry the initials of the maker – including those of Mary McColm. The colours of the woollen threads were chosen to represent lichen on Cotswold stone.
Nora Yoxall (1892-1998) and Elsie Whitford (1897-1992) met in the 1920s when they were art students in Birmingham, and took up stained-glass almost by chance. They worked together for the rest of their lives, always making their windows as well as designing them. From 1949 they worked from a small studio in Blockley, near Chipping Campden. Their output was not large, and was mostly in the Midlands. Examples of Nora Yoxall and Elsie Whitford’s stained glass work can be seen in Blockley Parish church.